Welcome back, team!
There is an extensive background section for this book, given the need to refresh our collective memories after our triumphant return with Vonotar. I’ll summarise the background, but for the curious, here is the link to the word-for-word reproduction :
- Ruanon is a remote mining post to the south of Sommerlund, operating under Baron Vanalund
- A month ago all contact with Ruanon ceased, a cause of particular concern since the wagon train of gems and ore didn’t arrive at the Sommerlund capital (Just in case you were naive enough to think that the main priority was safety of the citizens of the town)
- Yes, this is primarily a quest launched due to economic concerns, why did you ask?
- In a move which does, admittedly, finally give weight to my (individual) importance to the country, the King’s first response is not to grab the Wolfphone, but rather to dispatch 100 cavalry led by Captain D’Val.
- Subsequently, no word has been received from this troop.
- I’m having serious flashbacks to the initial premise of Hot Shots 2, given the description of each posse being sent to retrieve the last one.
- Aside : Full points to the monks in Hot Shots 2 who have taken a vow of celibacy ‘like their fathers and their fathers before them’.
- In a classic example of ‘mission creep’ I now have to : locate D’Val and the missing members of the cavalry, discover what happened to the missing gems / ore convoy and just generally find out what the heck is going on down in Ruanon.
- I get 50 rangers to support me on this quest, and spy a black crow (!!) on the wall at Holmgard as I leave the King’s presence. It is lucky I’m an atheist, since otherwise I’d treat that as a bad omen.
The book specifically states that I can only take Weapons and Special Items from the last adventure over to this book, and not Backpack Items. As silly as I think this rule is, as a (Rules) lawyer, I shall obey it. I guess my Meals and Laumspur Potions get recycled and gifted to the less fortunate individuals who live around the Kai Monastery.
I get to pick another Kai Discipline. As stated earlier, Weaponskill is the least good option, so I take Mindblast, for the ability to sent some psychic bolts of lightning to unsuspecting opponents.
Given my choice of equipment, I am given a Special Item comprising a ‘Map of the Southlands’.
Secondly, I get 10 extra Gold Crowns.
More importantly, I can take up to six (!!) items from the list given.
Aside : I know I’m a broken record on this point, but please FSM, give some kind of in-universe reason as to why the last of the Kai, on a mission for the security of the nation, can’t take, say, an extra Warhammer. I mean, seriously?
Anyway, I take :
- Two Laumspur potions (each one +4 E)
- Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 E)
- 3 Meals
And before you ask (*cough* Rules Lawyers *splutter*), Project Aon specifically confirms that you can, in fact, wear a Padded Leather Waistcoat and a Chainmail Waistcoat at the same time :
Aside : My Kai rank is now that of Journeyman, which is fitting given that I am ‘journeying’ to the southern outpost of Sommerlund. (See what I did there!)
Base Stats : CS : 17, E : 20, GC 24
Final Modified Stats : CS : 29, E : 26
Weapons : Sommerswerd (+8 CS), Mace
Backpack : 3 Meals, 2 Laumspur potions (+4E)
Special Items : Map, Crystal Star, Shield (+2 CS), Sommerswerd, Padded Waistcoat (+2 E), Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 E) Blue Stone Triangle Pendant, Diamond, Ornate Silver Key
Kai Rank : Journeyman
Kai Disciplines : Camouflage, Animal Kinship, Tracking, Hunting, Sixth Sense, Healing, Mind Over Matter, Mindblast (+2CS)
Final Paragraph : 1