By the look of that cover, I’m thinking someone had just might have been watching a documentary about the Seven Cities of Gold, hmmm?
At any rate, the background is as follows :
- Now that I’ve actually done (at last part) of their work for them, the Elder Magi are a little more forthcoming in terms of information which might help me.
- There is an ancient legend of theirs which tells of the coming, centuries apart, of two great ‘sons of the sun’ – one an eagle (presumably Sun Eagle, the first Magnakai) and one wolf. Lucky, I guess, that the Kai Administrator who named me didn’t go with Muad’Dib, or Grey Star.
- After Agarash the Damned was defeated by the Elder Magi (after a war lasting 1,000 (!!) years) the Magi built a great temple in what had previosly been his area of domination – the Danarg.
- However, when a plague later decimated the Magi the temple and the surrounding area was abandoned and eventually overrun by swamp and jungle.
- On an even darker note, the Darklords have united behind a new leader – Gnaag (not Joshua, or Simon, as one might have hoped)
- I must therefore set off on my quest, interrupting the lessons on Kai lore that the Elder Magi have now been giving me (which, again, would have been handy around, oh, BOOK THREE!)
Now to practical preparations. I think there are two main choices for my new Magnakai Discipline. Nexus seems to be the most ‘used’ Discipline so far, but Invisibility will allow me to complete the Lore Circle of Solaris, giving handy bonuses to Combat Skill and Endurance.
Given the anticipated temperature difficulties in a jungle wilderness, I was going to go for Nexus, but then I remembered that the Platinum Amulet which I collected in the last adventure essentially serves the same function as Nexus (indeed the Lone Wolf wikia specifically describes it as ‘mimicking the effects of Nexus’). So I hope that my Amulet will be enough in this regard, and instead take Invisibility.
Hello, increases of +1 (Combat Skill) and +3 (Endurance!
In terms of equipment, I note a new rule, which limits the number of Special Items which I may carry to a maximum of twelve. As my LEGIONS of fans will remember, I also lost the entire contents of my Backpack at the conclusion of the last adventure.
Before anything else, I get a map of the relevant region (see here for a copy) along with 13 Gold Crowns.
So I firstly take the Potion of Laumspur from storage and put in the new backpack that I’ve taken off the storage rack that the Elder Magi keep.
I can take five (5) items (!!) from the selection offered, and I take a Meal, a Rope, a (self-lighting) Lantern, another Potion of Laumspur and 3 Fireseeds.
From my Special Items, I put the following into storage : 2 of my 3 Diamonds, the Boat Ticket, the Power Key (unless I gave it back to the Elder Magi), the Copper Key, the Jewelled Mace, the Brass Whistle, the Dagger of Vashna and the Ornate Silver Key.
Lastly, before I set off, I am pleased to learn that my advanced (yet geeky-sounding) rank of Tutelary makes the following Disciplines even better as follows :
Weaponmastery – Due to my Kai-fu, I only lose 2 Combat Skill points if forced into unarmed combat.
Invisibility – I can distract enemies by drawing their attention away from a hiding place (through skills such as ventriloquism, presumably).
Pathsmanship – Unless seriously injured, I can detect an enemy ambush (wouldn’t that be more Divination / Sixth Sense?)
Divination – Similiar to the Force, I can detect the presence of objects or creatures with magical skills.
Enough preliminaries – let’s go through the jungle, into the Temple, find the Lorestone and evade the giant rolling ball!
You know what I mean.
Base Stats : CS : 19, E : 25, GC 46
Current Stats : CS : 34, E : 31
Weapons : Sword, Dagger
Weapon-Like Special Items : Silver Bow of Duadon (+3), Sommerswerd (+8 CS),
Backpack :Potion of Laumspur (+4E) (2), Meal, Rope, Lantern
Special Items : 1. Sommerswerd 2. Platinum Amulet, 3. Crystal Star, 4. Shield (+2 CS), 5. Padded Waistcoat (+2 E), 6. Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 E) 7. Blue Stone Triangle Pendant, 8. Diamond, 9. Quiver (6 arrows), 10 Fireseeds (5), 11. EMPTY, 12. Silver Bow of Duadon.
Kai Monastery storage :
- Backpack Items :
- Special Items : Mao of Tekaro, Diamonds (2), Boat Ticket, Power Key, Copper Key, Ornate Silver Key, Jewelled Mace, Dagger of Vashna, Brass Whistle.
Magnakai Rank : Tutelary
Magnakai Disciplines : Weaponmastery (+3 CS in Sword, Bow, Mace, Dagger, Spear), Pathmanship, Huntmastery, Divination, Invisibility
Lore-Circles : Fire (+1 CS, +2 E), Solaris (+1 CS, +3 E)
Kai Disciplines : Camouflage, Animal Kinship, Tracking, Hunting, Sixth Sense, Healing, Mind Over Matter, Mindblast (+2CS), Mindshield, Weaponskill (+2 CS in Short Sword)
Paragraph : 1