It seems like it has been quite a while, what with holidays, and obituaries and so forth, but Lone Wolf has rested and fed, and is ready to, presumably, take out another historical enemy of the Elder Magi free of charge.
The ‘Story So Far…’ section recaps much of the previous few Lone Wolf books, and I won’t regurgitate that material here (although I did chuckle when it mentioned that in the previous book I had been ‘guided by Lord Paido’.)
If Paido had truly been responsible for my movements, Lone Wolf would probably still be wandering around the streets of New York, asking passing tourists for directions to either the ‘Danarg’ or a middling hotel.
In any event, for the remaining Background, bring on the bullet points!
- In an unsurprising development, Vassagonia (since the delightful Zakhan Kimah is apparently still in charge) has come into the war on the side of the Darklords.
- Given the prospective danger of the Darklord invasion to Sommerlund, I’m obviously keen to return home immediately to assist with the city’s defence.
- However Banedon (completely with his flying ship of dwarven slaves) arrived bearing a clear royal command from King Ulnar to continue with my quest, rather than return to Sommerlund.
- Wouldn’t want to have significant ethical choices or moral ambiguity, would we?
- A clear conscience is a thing to be prized, mmm?
- Banedon confirms the royal edict that he [Banedon] and the skyship are to be placed under my command.
- Aside : There is no indication as to whether my first command is “Pay those dwarves a living wage starting yesterday“.
- Lone Wolf gets another promotion, now being awarded the title of “Warmarshall [sic] of the Royal Estates”.
- I have no idea why Warmarshal is spelt with two ‘l’s.
- This also apparently confers to Lone Wlf the automatic rank of General in the Sommlending Army, making Lone Wolf the ‘youngest ever’ (!) General.
- In theory, Banedon will be extremely helpful for this mission, as he lived in Tahou (my destination) for two years as Journeymaster to the guild of magicians.
- The ‘Cauldron’ of the title is a reference to the entrance to the ‘ancient metropolis’ which lies buried under the city.
- Some kind of ‘eternal flame’ is lit in commemoration of our mission. Alternatively, it is probably just a night-light for the Elder Magi to check their Twitter accounts while the last hope of Sommerlund continues to do their dirty work for them.
On to housekeeping matters!
I have to select another Magnakai Discipline.
I have to choose from Psi-Screen, Psi-Surge, Nexus, Curing or Animal Control.
I think my next priority should be attempting to complete the Lore-Circle of the Spirit, which will give a further +3 to both Combat Skill and Endurance.
Just on the off-chance there’s some massively difficult battle in Book 11.
This Lore-Circle requires Psi-Surge, Psi-Screen, Divination (already have) and Nexus.
Given that my Amulet should help in situations where I need Nexus, I select Psi-Screen, to prevent both those pesky instadeaths and Combat Skill reductions in battle with tough critters.
Although I doubt it will come up, I also get to pick another Weapon for Weaponmastery, and I pick……………I guess……………[EDITED] Quarterstaff.
Now to equipment!
I get 12 Gold Crowns, which I add to my Belt Pouch.
I also get a Map of the Republic of Antari (which is, interestingly, NOT designated as a Special Item).
For (mumble, mumble) ‘reasons’ I then can ‘only’ take five items from the list provided.
I select the following :
- I replenish my quiver to the maximum of six arrows.
- I take two Meals (to replace the old ones in my Backpack).
- A potion of Laumspur (+4E)
- Three Fireseeds
I leave the following in storage :
- My secondary quiver, with the remaining four arrows.
- One of my Sacks of Silver.
- The Pass from The Jungle of Horrors.
- The ‘Vial of Clear Liquid’.’
- The Crystal Star Pendant, given that Banedon is with me for the time being.
I then decide……
I’m getting there, alright, voice in my head?!
In any event, the last thing which I need to consider it the ‘improvements’ to my skills which come with my ascension to the SEXY rank of ‘Principalin’.
The improvements :
Invisibility – I can ‘mask sounds’ made as I move, assisting with ninja-style stealth.
Huntmastery – Telescopic vision, baby!
In our next instalment – we’re off!!
Base Stats : CS : 19, E : 25, GC 46
Current Stats : CS : 34/34, E : 31/31
Weapons : Sword, Dagger
Weapon-Like Special Items : Silver Bow of Duadon (+3), Sommerswerd (+8 CS),
Backpack : Wrist / Fingerguard, Rope, Lantern, Meals (2), Potion of Laumspur, Sacks of Silver (2)
Special Items : 1. Sommerswerd 2. Platinum Amulet, 3. EMPTY 4. Shield (+2 CS), 5. Padded Waistcoat (+2 E), 6. Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 E) 7. Blue Stone Triangle Pendant, 8. EMPTY 9. Quiver (6 arrows), 10. Fireseeds (6), 11. EMPTY 12. Silver Bow of Duadon.
Kai Monastery storage :
- Backpack Items : Sack of Silver
- Special Items : Mao of Tekaro, Diamonds (2), Boat Ticket, Power Key, Copper Key, Ornate Silver Key, Jewelled Mace, Dagger of Vashna, Brass Whistle. Quiver (4 arrows), Pass, Vial of Clear Liquid, Crystal Star Pendant
Magnakai Rank : Principalin
Magnakai Disciplines : Weaponmastery (+3 CS in Sword, Bow, Mace, Dagger, Spear, Quarterstaff), Pathmanship, Huntmastery, Divination, Invisibility, Psi-Screen
Lore-Circles : Fire (+1 CS, +2 E), Solaris (+1 CS, +3 E)
Kai Disciplines : Camouflage, Animal Kinship, Tracking, Hunting, Sixth Sense, Healing, Mind Over Matter, Mindblast (+2CS), Mindshield, Weaponskill (+2 CS in Short Sword)
Paragraph : 1