The man with the Latin tags is back!
And when I say ‘the man is back’, I mean that the man is riding a deus ex machina on a route hopefully leading to Aarnak!
After a burst of descriptive text, the book confirms that I steer my (stolen) Zlanbeast in a hard right away from Helgedad and towards Aarnak. As I approach the city, I begin to ponder the (completely predictable) problem of where to land.
Does Huntmastery give me telescopic vision, enabling me to check out possible landing spots in the city??
In a mind-boggling ‘deduction’, Lone Wolf concludes that, because a particular tower is free from any ‘sign of decay’, this is obviously where the slavemaster resides (!!!)
That deduction is up there, in terms of logical incoherence, with those who assume that, because a particular Tuesday is cold, that means that they have disproved global warming (?!)
Aside : I am unashamedly political and biased in my posts. I welcome healthy disagreement, as long as some does not stoop to derailing or ad hominem attacks.
I land my Zlanbeast, and make my way quickly (!) to a more central chamber where, using the password, I confirm to an unknown interlocutor that ‘Sommerlund is burning’.
As the mysterious figure emerges from the darkness, my basic Kai skills confirm that he is, in fact the slavemaster (as if that is a title which anyone would falsely want to claim…) and that he wishes to speak with me.
After I remove my Drakkarim mask, he notes my (Aryan) features and instantly assumes that I am from Sommerlund and states that he will help me all he can…
Apparently, his motivation for assisting my cause stems from the fact that the quotas demanded by the Darklords (of ore and steel from the local mines) exceed his capacity to meet, and that it is therefore economic (and not moral) motivations which lead him to assist me.
We all know how these things work…
The slavemaster then offers me an outfit which will, apparently, help me to penetrate Helgedad. The apparel apparently belonged to an apprentice of the Nadziranim, who ‘voluntarily’ offered to give up his clothing after a meeting with the Slavemaster.
I now get a secret agent-esque briefing.
Did someone say bullet points?!
- The Transfusor (which is a gamebook-esque name, no doubt) that I need to destroy is apparently now located in the upper chambers of the Tower of the Damned.
- Aside : That final thing is a very, VERY Iron Maiden-esque name.
- The Tower, naturally, is within the most ‘heavily guarded’ area of the city.
- I love how Lone Wolf now acts all surprised that the more valuable stuff is in the more heavily guarded area… what are the odds?
- I get given a Green Mask, which will conceal my identity from ‘casual inspection’.
- So I guess my pick-up range for the foreseeable future has been SEVERELY limited.
I get some further important hints :
- My (stolen) robe now marks me as a minion of Darklord ‘Ghanesh’, who is currently far from Helgedad, leading his troops as part of the invasion of my homeland.
- Those wearing green and scarlet robes are Ghanesh’s closest rivals, and should be avoided.
- Most of all, I show should avoid those wearing identical (silver-grey) robes as myself, as they will be able to penetrate my cover, recognising me as an imposter.
I then get escorted in the slavemaster’s ‘personal chariot’ to the outskirts of the city, where a gigantic wheeled leviathan awaits us.
This ‘lajakeka’ is some form of transport for ore drawn from the local mines, while also serving as a transport for passengers (and the crew, naturally).
The slavemaster gets me on board, while strongly recommending that I stick to my cabin, given that interactions with the others on board can be dangerous.
Unfortunately, the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-gley….
After we have been travelling for less than an hour, there is a knock on my cabin door.
I suppose it could be someone that I really want to see….
THERE IS NO WAY ROSE BYRNE IS KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR LONE WOLF, GET REAL.
My Discipline of Divination (actually being semi-helpful) confirms that the knocker has magical abilities but, at this stage, is not giving off an aura of hostility.
In a wish to avoid acting suspiciously, and trusting in my disguise, I open the door.
The sycophantic figure oozes smarm, inviting me to an ‘entertainment’ in the main area, being put on for me and my fellow passengers.
To decline the invitation would clearly arouse suspicion, while to go risks blowing my cover with those around me.
Since there’s a chance of a quiz-master falling prey to my high school maths skills, I throw caution to the wind, and go to the party!
Aside : I also note that he called me ‘Cagath’, which is seemingly the name of the creature whose outfit I have obtained. This could be important later.
As I walk toward the larger gallery, I ponder what sort of depraved ‘entertainment’ denizens of the Darklands will prefer….
NONONONONO – ANYTHING BUT THAT……!
Base Stats : CS : 22, E : 28, GC 22 (Kika 28)
Final Stats : CS : 44/44, E : 22/32
Weapons : Sword, Dagger
Weapon-Like Special Items : Silver Bow of Duadon (+3), Sommerswerd (+8 CS), Dagger of Vashna
Backpack : Rope, Lantern, Potion of Laumspur (+4E), Meals (3)
Special Items : 1. Sommerswerd (+8 CS) (with Korlinium scabbard) 2. Platinum Amulet / Gold Amulet, 3. Dagger of Vashna 4. Shield (+2 CS), 5. Padded Waistcoat (+2 E), 6. Bronin Vest (+3 CS, +1 E) 7. Blue Stone Triangle Pendant, 8. Psychic Ring 9. Quiver (6 arrows), 10. Silver Bracers (+2 CS, +1 E) (6), 11. Crystal Explosive 12. Silver Bow of Duadon.
‘Extra-Special item’ – Green Mask
Kai Monastery storage :
- Backpack Items : Sack of Silver (3)
- Special Items : Map of Tekaro, Diamonds (2), Boat Ticket, Power Key, Copper Key, Ornate Silver Key, Jewelled Mace, Obsidian Seal, Brass Whistle. Quiver (4 arrows), Pass, Vial of Clear Liquid, Crystal Star Pendant, Receipt, Invitation, Signet Ring
Magnakai Rank : Archmaster
Magnakai Disciplines : Weaponmastery (+4 CS in Sword, Bow, Mace, Dagger, Spear, Quarterstaff, Broadsword, Warhammer, Axe), Pathmanship, Huntmastery, Divination, Invisibility, Nexus, Psi-Screen, Psi-Surge, Curing
Lore-Circles : Fire (+1 CS, +2 E), Solaris (+1 CS, +3 E), Spirit (+3 CS, +3 E)
Kai Disciplines : Camouflage, Animal Kinship, Tracking, Hunting, Sixth Sense, Healing, Mind Over Matter, Mindblast (+3CS), Mindshield, Weaponskill (+2 CS in Short Sword)
Current paragraph : 85